669J Credit for tax paid.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, any individual, to whom Chapter 2A of Part 15 applies for any year of assessment, who has made a payment which includes a relevant amount in respect of that year of assessment shall, without prejudice to the payment so made, be treated as having made a payment on account of income tax of an amount equal to the relevant amount.
(2) So much of a payment of tax (referred to in this section as the “deemed payment on account of tax”) for a year of assessment by an individual as is treated in accordance with subsection (1) shall, in so far as possible, be set against any liability to income tax of the individual, for the year of assessment following the first-mentioned year of assessment.
(3) To the extent that the deemed payment on account of tax has not been set off in accordance with subsection (2), the balance remaining shall be set off against a liability to income tax for any subsequent year of assessment of the individual who is treated as having made the payment, in the order of being set off against a liability for an earlier period in priority to a liability for a later period.
(4) Only the excess of an overpayment of income tax for any year of assessment over the deemed payment on account of tax to be made for that year of assessment by virtue of this section may be repaid and interest shall not be payable in respect of any part of such overpayment other than the excess.
(5) Where in any year of assessment section 485E applies to an individual, then for the purposes of section 485F the excess relief for the year shall be reduced by an amount equal to the amount of the relevant excess relief.