787C PRSAs — method of granting relief for PRSA contributions.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Chapter, relief from income tax shall be given in respect of contributions to a PRSA by an individual chargeable to tax in respect of relevant earnings from any trade, profession, office or employment carried on or held by that individual.
(2) Where relief is to be given under this Chapter in respect of any contribution made by an individual, the amount of that contribution shall, subject to this section, be deducted from or set off against the individual’s relevant earnings for the year of assessment in which the contribution is paid.
(3) Where in relation to a year of assessment a contribution to a PRSA is made after the end of the year of assessment but on or before the specified return date for the chargeable period (within the meaning of
>Part 41<) the payment may, if the individual so elects on or before that date, be treated for the purposes of this section as paid in the earlier year (and not in the year in which it is paid); but where—
(a) the amount of that contribution, together with any contributions made by the individual in the year to which the assessment relates (or treated as so paid by virtue of any previous election under this subsection), exceeds the maximum amount of the reduction which may be made under this Chapter in the individual’s relevant earnings for that year, or
(b) the amount of that PRSA contribution itself exceeds the increase in that maximum amount which is due to taking into account the income on which the assessment is made,
the election shall have no effect as respects the excess.
(4) Where in any year of assessment a reduction or a greater reduction would be made under this section in the relevant earnings of an individual but for an insufficiency of net relevant earnings, the amount of the reduction which would be made but for that reason, less the amount of any reduction which is made in that year, shall be carried forward to the next year of assessment, and shall be treated for the purposes of relief under this Chapter as the amount of a qualifying contribution paid in that next year of assessment.
(5) If and in so far as an amount once carried forward under subsection (4) (and treated as the amount of a qualifying payment made in the next year of assessment) is not deducted from or set off against the individual’s net relevant earnings for that year of assessment, it shall be carried forward again to the following year of assessment (and treated as the amount of a qualifying payment made in that year of assessment), and so on for succeeding years.
(6) Where relief under this Chapter for any year of assessment is claimed and allowed (whether or not relief is then to be given for that year), and afterwards there is made
>any additional assessment, alteration of an assessment<, or other adjustment of the claimant’s liability to tax, there shall be made also such adjustments, if any, as are consequential thereon in the relief allowed or given under this Chapter for that or any subsequent year of assessment.
(7) Where relief under this Chapter is claimed and allowed for any year of assessment in respect of any contribution, relief shall not be given in respect of that contribution under any other provision of the Income Tax Acts for the same or a later year of assessment.