Revenue Note for Guidance
531V Deduction of levy by employer
This section sets out responsibilities of employers in relation to the deduction of the levy from employees and remittance of the levy to the Revenue Commissioners.
(1) Provision is made that the employer:
- must deduct the amount of the levy (determined under section 531U) from the employee’s net emoluments (see section 531O for definition) on a proportionate basis over the period the employee has an entitlement to park,
- will be accountable for the amount of the levy deductible and liable to pay it to Revenue as if it were income tax deductible under the PAYE system, and
- must remit total levy amounts deductible to the Collector-General to coincide with remittance of PAYE deductions, in accordance with Regulations 28 and 29 of the PAYE regulations.
(2) Where the employer makes levy deductions, the employee shall allow such deductions and the employer shall be acquitted and discharged of such deductions. This, in effect, indemnifies the employer in relation to deductions made from the employee in accordance with the legislation.
Relevant Date: Finance Act 2021