172K Returns, payment and collection of dividend withholding tax.
(1) Any person (in this section referred to as “the accountable person”), being a company resident in the State which makes, or an authorised withholding agent who is treated under section 172H as making, any relevant distributions to specified persons in any month shall, within 14 days of the end of that month, make a return to the Collector-General which shall contain details of—
(a) the name and tax reference number of the company which actually made the relevant distributions,
(b) if different from the company which actually made the relevant distributions, the name of the accountable person, being an authorised withholding agent, in relation to those distributions,
(c) the name and address of each person to whom a relevant distribution was made or, as the case may be, was treated as being made by the accountable person in the month to which the return refers,
(d) the date on which the relevant distribution was made to that person,
(e) the amount of the relevant distribution made to that person,
(f) the amount of the dividend withholding tax (if any) in relation to the relevant distribution deducted by the accountable person or, as the case may be, the amount (if any) to be paid to the Collector-General by the accountable person in relation to that distribution as if it were a deduction of dividend withholding tax,
(g) the aggregate of the amounts referred to in paragraph (f) in relation to all relevant distributions made or treated under section 172H as being made by the accountable person to specified persons in the month to which the return
(2) Dividend withholding tax which is required to be included in a return under subsection (1) shall be due at the time by which the return is to be made and shall be paid by the accountable person to the Collector-General, and the dividend withholding tax so due shall be payable by the accountable person without the making of an assessment, but dividend withholding tax which has become so due may be assessed on the accountable person (whether or not it has been paid when the assessment is made) if that tax or any part of it is not paid on or before the due date.
(3) Where it appears to the inspector that there is any amount of dividend withholding tax in relation to a relevant distribution which ought to have been but has not been included in a return under subsection (2), or where the inspector is dissatisfied with any such return, the inspector may make an assessment on the accountable person in relation to the relevant distribution to the best of the inspector’s judgment, and any amount of dividend withholding tax in relation to a relevant distribution due under an assessment made by virtue of this subsection shall be treated for the purposes of interest on unpaid tax as having been payable at the time when it would have been payable if a correct return under subsection (1) had been made.
(4) Where any item has been incorrectly included in a return under subsection (1) as a relevant distribution in relation to which dividend withholding tax is required to be deducted, the inspector may make such assessments, adjustments or set-offs as may in his or her judgment be required for securing that the resulting liabilities to tax, including interest on unpaid tax, whether of the accountable person in relation to the relevant distribution or any other person, are in so far as possible the same as they would have been if the item had not been so included.
(5) Any dividend withholding tax assessed on an accountable person under this Chapter shall be due within one month after the issue of the notice of assessment (unless that tax is due earlier under subsection (2)) subject to any appeal against the assessment, but no such appeal shall affect the date when any amount is due under subsection (2).
>(a) The provisions of the Income Tax Acts relating to—<
(i) assessments to income tax,
(ii) appeals against such assessments (including the rehearing of appeals and the statement of a case for the opinion of the High Court), and
(iii) the collection and recovery of income tax,
shall, in so far as they are applicable, apply to the assessment, collection and recovery of dividend withholding tax.
(b) Any amount of dividend withholding tax payable in accordance with this Chapter without the making of an assessment shall carry interest at the rate of
>1 per cent for each month or part of a month< from the date when the amount becomes due and payable until payment.
>Subsections (2) to (4) of section 1080< shall apply in relation to interest payable under paragraph (b) as they apply in relation to interest payable under section 1080.
(d) In its application to any dividend withholding tax charged by any assessment made in accordance with this Chapter, section 1080 shall apply as if
>subsection (1)(b)< of that section were deleted.
(7) Subject to subsection (8), every return by an accountable person under subsection (1) shall be made in an electronic format approved by the Revenue Commissioners and shall be accompanied by a declaration made by the accountable person, on a form prescribed or authorised for that purpose by the Revenue Commissioners, to the effect that the return is correct and complete.
(8) Where the Revenue Commissioners are satisfied that an accountable person does not have the facilities to make a return under subsection (1) in the format referred to in subsection (7), the return shall be made in writing in a form prescribed or authorised by the Revenue Commissioners and shall be accompanied by a declaration made by the accountable person, on a form prescribed or authorised for that purpose by the Revenue Commissioners, to the effect that the return is correct and complete.