894A Returns by third parties in relation to personal reliefs.
(1) In this section—
“PPS Number”, in relation to an individual, means the individual’s Personal Public Service Number within the meaning of section 262 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005;
“personal relief” means a relief under any of the provisions specified in the Table to section 458.
(2) Where a person is in possession of information concerning expenditure defrayed by an individual that is relevant to establishing the title of that individual to a personal relief, or the amount of such a relief, that person may, notwithstanding anything contained in any other enactment or any obligation to maintain secrecy or other restriction on the disclosure of information, furnish details regarding the amount of such expenditure to the Revenue Commissioners if requested by them to do so.
(3) Information furnished to the Revenue Commissioners in accordance with subsection (2) shall, unless the Revenue Commissioners otherwise direct, be in an electronic format approved by the Revenue Commissioners and shall contain the name and address and, where known, the PPS Number of the individual in relation to whom the information is being furnished.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision to the contrary, for the purposes of making a return under subsection (3), a person not in possession of the PPS Number of an individual shall be entitled to request that number from the individual and shall inform the individual of the purpose for requesting the number.
(5) Information furnished to them in accordance with subsection (2) shall be used by the Revenue Commissioners only for the purpose of establishing the title of an individual to the personal relief concerned, or the amount of that relief and, notwithstanding section 872, shall be used for no other purpose.
(6) Any act to be performed or function to be discharged by the Revenue Commissioners, which is authorised by this section, may be performed or discharged by any of their officers acting under their authority.